Well, our plans have changed again.
We were planning to leave for Canada on August 9th, but days before, Annemarie started to feel unwell and decided to get the antigen test, which is faster – we didn’t feel like waiting a day or two for the PCR test to find out if she really did have Covid and if we were going to be able to travel or not. The test came back positive.
That was a Friday and we were supposed to leave late Sunday night. We knew it was a possibility, to have to cancel our plans if we got Covid, but it was still a bit of a shock. All of sudden we had to start thinking of alternate plans and how we were going to make it all work and when it would be possible to travel again.
Our heads were spinning, and not just from Covid. Instead of packing our suitcases, we were planning out how to quarantine for the next ten days or so. Instead of figuring out how to get to and from the airport, we were trying to figure out how to get groceries for our empty pantry (thanks Cornershop!).
It was definitely one of those moments where you say: “Why God?” Despite not having a clear answer to that question we had to trust that there was one and that God had a plan. That was/is not easy and we had to fight for peace and contentment and trust.
Many times over the past year and a half we have talked about trusting in God’s sovereignty and his good and perfect plan. We’ve talked about how it is easy to confess with the mouth that God is in control and that he knows best, but it is another thing to actually believe that and live like it is true. It is easy to say that God is our peace, but then when Covid comes along and disrupts that peace and threatens our health and freedom we act like what we confess is not true. Well, God was giving us the perfect opportunity to learn that lesson again.
As I write this, we are finishing up our quarantine and have mostly recovered from Covid. The day after Annemarie had the rapid antigen test, we both did the PCR test. We also had Lewis tested a day later. If you have a positive PCR test and have recovered from Covid, you are exempt from all the pre and post travel testing, and we wanted to avoid that if you could. Thankfully all the tests were positive and there should be no issue with traveling, Lord willing.
We have rescheduled our flights for September 9th and had to change some of our plans for our time in Canada, but overall we are happy with how things turned out. It was obviously very disappointing to have to delay our trip and delay seeing family for another month, but we are still able to count many blessings. In the grand scheme of things, another delayed trip is not that big of a thing, especially compared with the earthquakes, fires, and violence dominating our newsfeeds.
“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.”Psalm 46:1-3
Leave a Reply